Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sidi Ifni part 1 0f 3



The history of  the Moroccan seacoast is complicated --variously French, Spanish, Portuguese. You can read about it here.


Anyway, in late February we drove south to Sidi Ifni, where the Spanish were in charge until 1969. It has something of the air of a town-time-forgot --but the town hall is freshly painted.


This looks a little like a fort in the Spanish Sahara.


The cinema is being renovated --albeit astoundingly slowly.


The town square, high above the Atlantic, has charming plantings and a small encampments of protesters. We make a point of not getting involved in politics when abroad.


February flowers!


The Spanish consulate. A splendid building which could/should/maybe never will be restored!


A wall with shadows.


A mosque.


Looking down at the sea from the Belle Vue Hotel --a super precipitous view -- a rather tatty hotel


Exterior of the Belle Vue.


Robert outside the long defunct Twist Club


View over the rooftops from Xanadu where we stayed. A most wonderful, beautifully decorated French run riad.

6 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Tatty hotels provide wonderful memories, but I think I would prefer the Xanadu. Love your blog and the travalogue.

Willow said...

Wow. I'm in love with that city. If I squint a bit, the flowers look like the flora in my area.

Jo P said...

Great pics. Robert is stylin'!

xo

Ruth said...

I love the blue!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful photos and amazing city!
White and blue my preferred colors.
Robert looks very charming!

Anonymous said...

Hi I am trying so hard to find out how I can book a room at the xanadu...they do not seem to be on any booking site..and their own site wont let me book. Do you have an e mail for them...thanks...please e mail me georgallischristine@yahoo.co.uk