Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Everyday Life


I chose this picture to remind myself what life in Marrakech actually looks like - away from the exoticism of the Djemma elFnaa and palaces and mountains.
This is a little road which goes between the back of Cafe France and Derb Dabachi.
It is very typical.
Here we have two young men on cell phones. One of them has a moped.
Lots of things for sale - most made in China, of course. Lots of pretty dresses and outfits for children.
The towel has a cartoon character on it.
The middle- aged woman has a stylish outfit - traditional and up to date at the same time.
The young girl working in the shop hasn't covered her hair but is wearing long pants.
Back in New York for a few weeks now, I've stopped being amazed by the acres of bare female flesh which shocked me at first.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Big difference in NYC, huh? ;-) Lovely shot of everyday life.

Paz

Tracy said...

I like this slice of life photo...and your reactions to it :o) Happy Day, Elizabeth ((HUGS))

Tess Kincaid said...

I enlarged the picture to enjoy all the details. Nice everyday shot.

Unknown said...

Hello Elizabeth, I wanted to laugh when you mention those 'flesh' abundance in New York. I guess Marrakesh will be quite similar to here too, being a muslim country. Surely not much flesh barring here, in the state of kelantan up north, we see BIG banners on how to dress appropriately, full gear, covered top to bottom..minus the eye veil of course, but that's normal here :)

Jason Roth said...

I just came across your blog today. Your photos are amazing. Undoubtedly, your time in Marrakesh must have been amazing.

Jillian said...

Pretty accurate depiction, I agree!

Jeannie said...

My husband is from Morocco. We live here in the states. Whenever we go out and there are a lot of women he spends a lot of time looking up at the sky. It is shocking to see so much skin...

d. moll, l.ac. said...

There is a rabbit towel in the shop to the left. Flesh shock, indeed, working at a High School I am often surprised, and I grew up in California.....

Hey Harriet said...

"acres of bare flesh" ...haha, too funny! I'm glad at least that you are less shocked by it all now!

My Castle in Spain said...

ah...la medina...a sweet souvenir Elizabeth but you'll be back soon won't you ?

:-)

ps : me too i laughed at the mention of "bare flesh" !