Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jardin Majorelle



One of the things I like about the gardens are the reflections.

What an amazing house this would be to live in.

The Jardin Majorelle is quite astounding and most people who visit Marrakech go to see it. You can look up at the details elsewhwere on the web. I would put a link if I knew how. Everything there has been photgraphed about ten billion times......and it's still worth going there.

I like to get there at 8am when there is no one about and the shadows are more dramatic. the main house is BRIGHT BLUE, which, after all the pink/coral tones of Marrakech is both jolting and wonderful.


There is now a cafe serving hot chocolate coffee etc. We were there so early it wasn't properly open yet but they let us have drinks anyway. Cats and birds abound in the garden. There are also gold fish in the pools and stands of thick-trunked bamboo.

12 comments:

Merisi said...

This is simply breathtaking!
Oh, how I long for warmer weather, and a bit of Southern Exposure! :-)

Gretel said...

That is how you KNOW you are not in England anymore, if that had been any kind of cafe here they would have staunchly refused to serve until properly open!

Elizabeth said...

I must say it is a treat to go to the gardens. I always take my visitors there and never get bored of it. There is a lovely small museum of Islamic art in the blue villa and copies of Jacques Majorelle's paintings done in the 1920's and 30's.
You should come to see it for yourselves.
Pretty nice for the middle of January!

Merisi said...

Elizabeth,
isn't this interesting, first Sebald, now Collins? Now I am wondering whether you have read Antonio Tabucchi.
Where did you meat Collins? (For me it was easy, at the Library of Congress *g*). He is the sweetest guy, isn't he?
I am dreaming of blue houses and blue skies. One day, perchance ...

Tracy said...

A most beautiful place...Makes me feel almost warm! Here in souther Norway it is snowing today. Thank you for a bit of sun and lovelieness...Happy weekend to you ((HUGS))

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

What a gorgeous place. I love all the brilliant color, and also the cat sitting in the sun! Beautiful.

Yes, please do add me to your blogroll, I'm pleased to be there I've added you to my sidebar at Much Ado About Something.

Sara

Willow said...

Breathtaking! I too love the reflecting pools, the goldfish. I noticed trees and bushes that abound in SoCal, too. Not surprising for the same Mediterranean climate.

Elizabeth said...

Merisi,
some years ago, before Billy Collins was poet laureate or famous, I read lots of his poems and wondered if he gave workshops. I left a message at Sarah Lawrence where he was teaching and he called right back!
But I never did manage a workshop - bad timing.
I would still go to one if he offered - wouldn't you?

P said...

These are wonderful shots. I love that blue and want to recreate it in New York, but sadly, it doesn't translate here. Something about the light and heat being wrong...

You have a lovely blog.

Britt-Arnhild said...

Oh my! Will you take me there WHEN I come visiting!!!!!!!

The blue is not for words.

Anonymous said...

Lovely garden, lovely reflections. I think I'd like it here in this jardin majorelle.

Paz ;-)

Wendy said...

There is nothing like Moroccan or Majorelle Blue. Stunning!