Monday, January 7, 2008

Lunch


Through the garden..............

Through the old terrace door..............

to the terrace where a bowl of mandarins sits beside some toys belonging to children who are not there that day.

And the view up beyond the garden and the olive trees to the mountains which were ruffled with snow after the recent rainfall.


It was very quiet, unlike in the medina - no mopeds , no sellers of anything, goats with young kids in the distance.

We ate lunch in the traditional way straight from the big dish without utensils. This looks a bit like a tagine but was even better. Instead of couscous under the chicken and vegetables there were little pieces of torn-up pancake which absorbed the juices. Apparently a traditional Berber treat.

8 comments:

Traveling Mama said...

Hmmm... I've never had that before. Looks delicious!

Elizabeth said...

I never heard of it either and, needless to say have forgotten the name. I'll have to ask my friend who very kindly had me to lunch.
Do write and tell me more about your life here in Morocco and how you came to be here!
All best wishes

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd love to have lunch here. Heck, I'd love to have the lunch presented here. ;-)

Paz

Britt-Arnhild said...

I would love some of that.....

Cream said...

Beautiful still life!
I've had that dish before in Algeria. I think it's called Shakhshoukha. My mother made the thin pancakes and then just tore them up, steamed and served with a cinnamon sauce. Yummmmmmmmy!

Willow said...

Is the little pancake like Ethiopian injera? (which I love to eat with lentils or spinach!)

P said...

These photographs are beautiful. They make me very wistful for Morocco, a place I visited many years ago...

Gorgeous blog. I found you through My Marrakesh.

Allistair said...

amazing!!!