Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Street of Barbers


There are six or seven barbers' shops on rue riad Zitoune lakadim and all seem to do a thriving trade.

Going to the barber's is a social event as well as just getting a shave and a hiarcut. The television is always on full blast and there are old magazines to read.

Men are shaved twice with a cut-throat razor sterilized with alcohol set ablaze.

When the customer is done and looks very "zween" - handsome, good - he is offered a cup of mint tea.
The whole process with shampoo, shave, haircut etc. takes the best part of an hour.

riad zitoune, originally uploaded by schmidwix2.

2 comments:

Traveling Mama said...

I saw your link on My Marrakesh and thought I would check out your blog. What a nice surprise! My husband and I are Americans living in Meknes along with our two kids. I love your photos! Thanks for sharing! I blog some of my pictures too- if you are interested!
www.travelingmama.net

Britt-Arnhild said...

Cute and creative photos :-)